Monday, January 21, 2013

I am LOVING The New Normal

I can't believe I only came across The New Normal last week!! Welcome to my severe case of "Where have you been all my life?!?"-itis.


The show centers around a gay couple, Bryan and David, who are planning to have a baby. Meanwhile, Goldie is a single mom who moves from Ohio to California with her daughter Shania, and followed by her bigoted, ultra-conservative grandmother. When Goldie decides to become a surrogate, and gets paired up with Brian and David (add a little brilliant humor), a new kind of amazing family is born.

Redefining the Family
This show does an amazing job showing that no matter gay or straight, single or married, related by blood or not, love is what holds a family together.
Or as Shania so eloquently puts it...


The struggles that Bryan and David go through are just what every parent goes through when having their first child. Is it a boy or a girl? What were we hoping for? Who's going to stay at home? How are we going to provide a safe environment? It's personalized a little here and there to show the unique challenges that gay couples face, but the main picture is one of a supporting family trying to bring a new life into the world.


The Characters
Goldie - Goldie, Goldie, Goldie. She is adorable! And she is a strong, independent woman trying to make her way in the world while taking care of an amazing young girl. Her funniest moment is during the episode "Baby Proofing" when she's at war with herself over eating so many Christmas goodies.

Jane (aka Nana) - Ellen Barkin does racist, homophobic, sassy Nana perfectly. She plays the antagonist to everyone else's progressive, liberal lifestyles. And every once in a while, when she's not busy sippin on the haterade, she says something really thought provoking.

Bryan and David - they are the cutest couple ever. Really. It is impossible not to love them. Homophobes, they will make you change your minds. Plus, Justin Bartha.

Shania - this girl is wise beyond her years, cunning, charming, quirky, I could go on forever. Most of the time, I can't tell if Goldie's the parent or she is. And if only Nana listened to a word she said... smh.

Rocky - Badass, free-spirited, and "fine as hell", this show (and especially this clip) is Nene Leakes at her best.


Oh, and did I mention? JUSTIN BARTHA. That is all...

Balancing Heavy with Humor
You'd think that with a show addressing LGBT issues and parenting at such a key turning point in the US would be loaded with political propaganda. That's what I expected at first, but I was completely wrong! This show is your just your average (groundbreaking) heartwarming comedy that any odd family can snuggle up on the couch together and watch after Tuesday dinner.

Things like marriage, political parties, and homophobia are definitely addressed by this show, but it's done in the sweetest and funniest ways. The contemplative stuff is served less like black-forest-chocolate-fudge-layer-cake and more like brownie bites that are easy to enjoy. Take the sticky, controversial issue of the Christian church and LGBT rights and see how The New Normal takes it on with light, caustic humor. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Soo... why are you not watching this show??
It's not too late to get on the bandwagon!! Catch up on the last 5 episodes, find out what's happened since the season premiere, and start watching The New Normal, Tuesday 9:30/8:30c.

UPDATE 5/10/13: NBC cancelled the show after the first season.
Jerks. Jk. Maybe. Anyway, I will miss watching it, but they did wrap it up really nicely. As of now, the last 5 episodes are on Hulu. Hopefully, they'll put the rest up soon.

7 comments:

  1. My name is Devon Yaffe and after finding out I could choose any topic for my Senior Project, I decided on one that was closer to home: Overcoming Adversities as a Gay Teen. As a member of this ever growing community I planned to branch out to the gay community in ord er to hear the stories of gay youth. This documentary tells the story of ten gay males, ages ranging from 15-82. We find out how each of them overcame their adversities as a gay teen throughout each generation. Please enjoy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqJFJfiXq4U&feature=plcp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post. I like to write
    a little comment to support you.
    Also see my website - utah cash advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I’m Robert Byrd. I’m a doctoral student doing research on the LGBTQ blogging community. I would very much appreciate your help. If you have 10 minutes would you please answer a questionnaire http://bit.ly/ZADnEHfor me about why you blog, how you blog, and who you audience is. Thank you so much. Also, if you have time, check out my blog too www.robertdbyrd.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative, keep posting such good articles, it really helps to know about things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing blog and very interesting stuff you got here! I definitely learned a lot from reading through some of your earlier posts as well and decided to drop a comment on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an extremely smart written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn extra of your useful information. Thank you for the post. I will certainly return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice post. I merely stumbled upon your journal and wished to mention that I even have extremely enjoyed browsing your weblog posts. finally I’ll be subscribing on your feed and that i am hoping you write once more terribly soon!

    ReplyDelete